Advanced OS Questions only you can answer... (fwd)

Adam bsdx@looksharp.net
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 12:47:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Sean wrote:

>If they are HS level questions, I think he might be an asset *lol*
>
>Who do you _pay_ to call for freebsd support?

If this question isnt rhetorical, www.bsdi.com offers support via email
and phone and various levels of involvement for one-shot and contract
deals.  Before BSDi merged with Walnut Creek, you could also get support
for FreeBSD from WC.  I cannot comment on how much these services are used
but I know at least some people do, most likely people using FreeBSD for
servers without knowing much of Unix at all.  If their favorite buddy to
ask support from is not around and a customer wants a mail alias added
pronto,  I guess you have someone to call.  The cost of the support can be
less than the money lost due to a lost customer :) People running servers
for clients can also sometimes charge their customers rediculous amounts
for change requests which allows the owner to use commercial support if
needed..