DSL in Lansing

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 12:50:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, Dale Grover wrote:
> As a point of reference, I also just signed up for DSL in
> Lansing (N of Grand River, just west of 127 in Lansing
> Township).  I'm approx 15K feet from the nearest CO.

Sounds like right about where I'm at on Wood St. =)

> I'm going with NorthPoint through a company in MN called
> Velotel.  4-6 week installation (thank you Ameritech), $225
> bridge (rebated), $195 install, 12 month contract,
> $59.95/month (can add 5 more static IPs for $5/month), with
> a projected data rate of 200/200 (due to distance).  Made

Sounds a lot like the quote they sent me, except they projected
400/200 or something like that for my data rate (15,005 ft.).
At $200 install and $60/mo I'm not gonna rush out for it.  Waiting
to hear back from Atlantech Online, who is claiming free install and
$47/mo for I believe a Covad line.

> waiting for ATT cable, but who knows what bandwidth would
> really be available over the long run... and when they'd
> actually get here.  Since reasonable bandwidth connections

METS wasn't bad (in East Lansing and Okemos), but @Home probably won't be
here in Lansing for another 6 months, and I doubt you're gonna get any
faster data rates than w/ DSL, even at your distance.

> seem to be of interest to folks on this list, I'd hope
> others would continue to post their experiences.

Will do. =)

--
Edward Glowacki			glowack2@msu.edu
Network Services