DSL in Lansing

Dale Grover dgrover@redcedar.com
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 11:23:09 -0400

As a point of reference, I also just signed up for DSL in
Lansing (N of Grand River, just west of 127 in Lansing
Township).  I'm approx 15K feet from the nearest CO.
Ameritech wouldn't go over something like 8,500 ft in my
area, which is not a technology issue AFAIK.  (Ameritech
already proved itself to me by the quality of the fax line
for my business that they installed--noisy to the point of
useless for data, and they were unable and unwilling to fix
it.)

I'm going with NorthPoint through a company in MN called
Velotel.  4-6 week installation (thank you Ameritech), $225
bridge (rebated), $195 install, 12 month contract,
$59.95/month (can add 5 more static IPs for $5/month), with
a projected data rate of 200/200 (due to distance).  Made
one call for information, which I got promptly, and a second
call to ask some follow-up questions, again answered
promptly by someone who sounded like they knew what they
were talking about (Mark Josefson, if you happen to call
them).  DSLreports.com (website I mentioned several meetings
ago) has nothing but positive comments about them, but
they're a small, small player apparently.  Thought about
waiting for ATT cable, but who knows what bandwidth would
really be available over the long run... and when they'd
actually get here.  Since reasonable bandwidth connections
seem to be of interest to folks on this list, I'd hope
others would continue to post their experiences.

--Dale
--
Dale Grover                      (517) 374-7966
Red Cedar Electronics      (517) 374-9676 (fax)