printing still

Marcel Kunath kunathma@pilot.msu.edu
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 13:00:55 -0500 (EST)

> I am curious as to why you are even bothering to set up a Printer Server
> when the 2100TN has a DirectJet card on it which in essence is a print
> server.

True, but I don't have a clue and as good as all the howtos out there are, there
is no real good example on network printer setup. Oreilly's samba is good but
they pick the stuff apart so much that it loses clear cut explanations to the
material they describe.

I don't know I just like to know somebody who has a printer like me. Shows me
his printcap and smb.conf file and I can take it from there (I hope).

Then there is the lack of Linux documentation for the printer itself, which
again explains why I don't know how to use the jetdirect correctly. As far as I
believe it should work this way: give jetdirect IP, install printer driver on
any machine u want, point the machine to the ip to print using that driver.

So basically are you telling me I could point the printer setup on the Windows
machine to the port '192.168.1.100', aka IP of the jetdirect. and it will
print?  (Instead of trying it on port '\\mail\printers'?)

Besides even if this worked I still would love to know why my Samba setup
doesn't work.

   > > Second, if you
are printing from windows.. make sure you are using
a PS > driver, like the Apple Laserwriter instead of using the HP driver for
> windows which creates PCL. The printer wont get confused but the LPRng
> filters might.

I know from past experience to stick with PS drivers and I am.

> I would also try setting up LPRng as a generic PS printer, but I forgot
> what your exact problem was =)

Problem was file gets spooled right to the Linux box but then not printed.