printing still

Sean picasso@madflower.com
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 01:15:48 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Marcel Kunath wrote:

> > I am curious as to why you are even bothering to set up a Printer Server
> > when the 2100TN has a DirectJet card on it which in essence is a print
> > server.
>
> I don't know I just like to know somebody who has a printer like me. Shows me
> his printcap and smb.conf file and I can take it from there (I hope).

I have the same printer I just never bothered to set it up for samba, A
because I don't use windows at all and B because the printer understands
Windows, Appletalk, IP, and IPX out of the box.

> Then there is the lack of Linux documentation for the printer itself, which
> again explains why I don't know how to use the jetdirect correctly. As far as I
> believe it should work this way: give jetdirect IP, install printer driver on
> any machine u want, point the machine to the ip to print using that driver.

You can do that. However, it is a PS printer and lpr just runs with it. I
don't _have_ to install any special software for the Macs or Linux.
although installing the PPD (Postscript Printer Description) file is
highloy recomended for access to advanced printer features, like different
paper trays, and such.

> So basically are you telling me I could point the printer setup on the Windows
> machine to the port '192.168.1.100', aka IP of the jetdirect. and it will
> print?  (Instead of trying it on port '\\mail\printers'?)

You can either do that or you can set up the printer with a Windows
networking queue, so you should be able to find it in the Network
Neighborhood as a networked printer. Be with anything past win98 you may
need a firmware upgrade for the DirectJet card because M$ switched the
networking protocal a bit and you need new software that can understand
it.

> Besides even if this worked I still would love to know why my Samba setup
> doesn't work.

Gotta love a challenge =)

> Problem was file gets spooled right to the Linux box but then not printed.

How come you are spooling to //mail/ whatever instead of directly to the
print queue? /var/spool/lpd ?

Also make sure the user Samba is running on has permissions to print on
your system.