whiny monitor

Harold Hunt Harold@compasstechnologies.com
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 14:09:51 -0500

I had a CTX 15" monitor that started out by whining... six months later it
started blanking once in awhile, but it would come right back on.  All told
it took about two years for the monitor to die; my local electronics store
fixed it (replaced a capacitor, I think) for $65.

I wouldn't worry about your monitor unless the warranty period is ending
soon.  :)

Harold

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Pfaff [mailto:pfaffben@msu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2000 1:51 PM
To: linux-user@egr.msu.edu
Subject: whiny monitor

A while ago, my monitor started making a high-pitched whine when
in 1600x1200 mode only.  This is a ViewSonic 17PS, and I am
running it at an under-spec 65 Hz refresh rate (specced for 70
Hz).  It then stopped making the noise a few minutes later.

This is the first time I've had a monitor do this.  Anyone else
seen this before?  Does it have implications for monitor life?

Thanks,

Ben.

--
"There's only one thing that will make them stop hating you.
 And that's being so good at what you do that they can't ignore you.