laptop keyboard mapping for X

Mike Rambo mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 11:46:37 -0500

I've got a Computer Warehouse laptop (no idea who made it) upon which
I've installed Linux.  I have keyboard map problems only when using X.
It doesn't start X by default and all the keyboard keys work fine from
the console.  When in X, whether using an xterm or any other app some
keys do not do what they're supposed to do.  For example, underscore
does equal, equal does caret, plus does tilde, single quote does
asterisk, double quote does colon, colon does plus and a few others are
wrong.  Interestingly a few are right, comma, period, semi-colon among
others.  All the letter and unshifted numbers are right.

Does anyone have any idea what's the cause.  I've looked in the laptop,
xfree86 and xwindows howto's on LDP but didn't find anything.  IIRC I
selected a laptop keyboard layout when I install RH6.2 on this machine.

Thanks.

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us