Input devices

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
03 Jul 2000 15:08:01 -0400

Alan Garrison <agarris@voyager.net> writes:

> I have been considering an ergo keyboard, and based on your
> email I hit CompUSA today.  The keyboard seemed nice, except
> that it has the backslash key in the lower right corner near
> CTRL (which I *hate*).

Well, the placement could be better, but I hardly ever have to
hit \, so it's not really a problem.  For me; for you, I guess
it's a different trade-off.

> Do you recall the specific reasons that the M$ ones sucked?

Well, `sucked' is probably too strong a term.

1. The ones with non-tiny F-keys are kinda expensive.

2. The ones with non-tiny F-keys have all sorts of extra keys
   that I don't want or like, and ugly labels all over the
   alphanumeric keys.

3. The ones with tiny F-keys have weird layouts and tiny keys
   outside the alphanumeric keys.

4. Made by Microsoft.  I'm avoiding them these days for reasons
   that should be evident.

Notwithstanding #4, if I could have found one with all full-sized
keys and no extra keys or wacky labels, I'd probably have bought
it.

> The only other keyboard they had was the $120 cordless
> Logitech, which I simply won't consider.

Ooh, I was drooling over that model, but the price tag was too
high for me, too.  And you can't seem to buy it without the
cordless mouse, which I don't need.  (I'm not going to buy a
keyboard over the net; too hard to return it.)

> I'll probably hit Best Buy the next time I'm over on that end
> of town.  I know they have a half decent selection.

Good luck, and tell us if you find a really good one.