public dns service

Jeff Goeke-Smith jeff@goeke.net
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 23:53:54 -0400

These are priority numbers.  Lower is higher priority.  This is useful if
there is a chance your mail server will be down and you have an arrangement
with somebody to cache your mail till your server comes back up.  I don't
currently have any such arrangement.  In that case you can just set the
number to an arbitrary value as it has no meaning when there is only one
server for mail.

> If my friend now runs a mailserver on machine mail.thedomain.com
> and likes it
> to receive mail to @mail.thedomain.com and @thedomain.com which
> one of these
> zone MX records should we use?
>
> ; MX records for email addressed to the zone itself???
> thedomain.com.    IN  MX  10  mail.thedomain.com.

That record looks pretty good to me.  By default, IIRC, most MTAs will fall
back to attempting to send mail to the machine its self if there is no MX
defined for it. To be safe you might want to set up a record like:
mail.thedomain.com IN  MX 10 mail.thedomain.com   , But the more I think
about this, I think this might set up an MX loop, so that might not work
correctly....

It's late, I'm tired, and I'm not thinking clearly.  ( Still dusting all the
gunpowder off from tonight)  I can only hope at this point that I've done
more good than harm.

--Jeff Goeke-Smith