public dns service

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
05 Jul 2000 09:25:24 -0400

"Jeff Goeke-Smith" <jeff@goeke.net> writes:

> That record looks pretty good to me.  By default, IIRC, most MTAs will fall
> back to attempting to send mail to the machine its self if there is no MX
> defined for it. To be safe you might want to set up a record like:
> mail.thedomain.com IN  MX 10 mail.thedomain.com   , But the more I think
> about this, I think this might set up an MX loop, so that might not work
> correctly....

Nope.  According to RFC 974, a missing MX record and a single MX
record naming the machine itself are equivalent:

   It is possible that the list of MXs in the response to the
   query will be empty.  This is a special case.  If the list is
   empty, mailers should treat it as if it contained one RR, an
   MX RR with a preference value of 0, and a host name of REMOTE.
   (I.e., REMOTE is its only MX). [...]
--
"I didn't say it was your fault.
 I said I was going to blame it on you."