Sean, something for your LUG. (fwd)

Adam bsdx@looksharp.net
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 10:48:38 -0400 (EDT)

On 14 Jul 2000, Ben Pfaff wrote:

>Adam <bsdx@looksharp.net> writes:
>
>> Sounds like it might be an ok deal but I dont know tape drives.  I dont
>> mean to knock it really but 20g ide drives are less than $99 and quite
>> plentiful.. you could grab a couple for size or redundancy unless you
>> needed a tape drive for dozens or hundreds of tapes like in a "Real Backup
>> Plan" with incremental stuff and all.
>
>The nice thing about tapes is that crackers can't erase them when
>they break into your system, because they're sitting in a box
>across the office, with the write-protect tab set, rather than
>being in the actual computer all the time.

That is a nice feature!  But how many times have you restored due to
crackers?  Also I am pretty sure they sell an ide drive sled
and you could remove it as long as you have unmounted it.  I've done this
between work and home (without a sled, I fashionably slipped the hd into
my pocket) and had two machines thinking they held the same drive happily
as long as I only had it mounted in one computer at a time.  Also I think
windows (not that it matters for us) has a checkbox for designating a HD
as removable.