bootp

Adam bsdx@looksharp.net
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:23:32 -0400 (EDT)

On 25 Jul 2000, Ben Pfaff wrote:

>Adam <bsdx@looksharp.net> writes:
>
>> Isn't responding to broadcast echo requests a Bad Thing(TM) considering
>> smurf and family?
>
>255.255.255.255 and 192.168.128.255 have very small propagation;
>only one network.  With larger broadcast echo requests (i.e.,
>class B, class C) it's more of an issue, I suppose.  And you can
>always firewall these off at the router.

Yea, I realize your assumed small private network wouldnt be a threat :)

>> Is it normally off for those OS's there but you turned it on?
>
>No, I didn't change any unusual network settings.  My machines
>are more-or-less stock 2.2.17.

Hmm, not sure what to say.  I have an account on a computer in a dedicated
server facililty and by pinging x.x.x.255 I came up with 10 or so
hosts.  Of these ~10 hosts, about half showed a login
banner.  Approx 5 announced RedHat with a kernel of 2.0.foo, and one BSDI
3.0 box (all old os's). I cant say if that subnet has any newer linux
machines without telnetting and pinging each and every one but I bet a
provider has more than 10 ip's in use per subnet.
You might want to check if there is some way to tune if your machine
responds to broadcast pings, and turn it off for security's sake before
you get back on any hostile networks :P