bootp

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
25 Jul 2000 18:45:45 -0400

Adam <bsdx@looksharp.net> writes:

> You might want to check if there is some way to tune if your machine
> responds to broadcast pings, and turn it off for security's sake before
> you get back on any hostile networks :P

But would it do any good?  There's two possibilities, as I see
it, here:

	1. MSU[1] has firewalled out such broadcast pings at
           their outside-world router.

	2. MSU has not done so.  I am practically the only person
           on campus to turn off responses to such pings.
           Everyone else is using the default settings.
           Therefore, my changing my settings has no real effect
           on the results of such a DoS attack attempt, whether
           the defaults are to respond or not.

[1] The only "hostile" network I ever have a machine sitting on.