SCSI troubles (of the UW variety)

T.C. Mingus mingusti@acm.cse.msu.edu
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 17:12:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 3 Jun 2000, Adam McDougall wrote:

> bent scsi pins sounds like bad news all around :( see if you can bend them
> back in place without weakening them, you dont want pins breaking off in
> the female conductor.. otherwise get a new cable and start from there.
> How is your termination?  Remember the last device on the 50 pin side, and
> the last device on the 68 pin side must be terminated, and the controller
> set to High Only or Auto term.  Is this a problem that came up recently
> out of the blue or with a change?
>
> On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, T.C. Mingus wrote:

The AHA-2940 has automatic termination, and I never really had to deal
with termination before, and I don't think I have any brokenpins, just
bent. I've just found a narrow to UW adapter I'm going to try to see if it
is my cable, or less likely, my UW jack on my controller.. I'd be real
suprised if both drives are bad. But it is possible. Termination never
seemed to impact my drives in anyway, I just set them to a unique ID, and
off I went, no problem. *shrugs* How often does SCSI go bad, anyway?
I thought it was better then IDE... Well anyway, I got both 4.5G UW HD's
for free, so if they are bad, I guess I'm not out much.. just a reinstall.
*makes mental note to find a CD-R full backup package for next time*