kernel upgrade on Yellowdog

John R. Gargett jgargett@lsj.com
Tue, 06 Jun 2000 10:44:37 -0400

Hello all,

I recently attempted to upgrade the kernel on my Yellowdog ppc (Champion
Server 1.1) system to 2.2.14 from 2.2.6. Everything seemed to go well, but
'uname -v' still reports the kernel version as 2.2.6 as does the login
prompt. Has anyone had any experience with upgrading the kernel on one of
these types of systems? I'm a relative newbie to Linux, so please take that
into account.

The hardware is a Beige G3 running at 333 MHz with a 10 Gig HD and 96 Megs
of RAM. The Yellowdog install is new. I downloaded the kernel from
kernel.org, followed the Linux kernel HOWTO, and moved the resulting files
to the /boot. The only difference I could tell was that the file created in
the 'make zImage' was zvmlinux instead of the vmlinux that was in /boot
previously. As a precaution I sym linked the zvmlinux to vmlinux.

Any guidance or suggestions would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

John

John R. Gargett                               (517) 267-1327
Publishing Systems Coordinator  jgargett@lansing.gannett.com
Lansing State Journal                       jgargett@lsj.com
        Macs, PCs and a network!!  OH MY!!!!!!!!