kernel upgrade on Yellowdog

Marcel Kunath kunathma@pilot.msu.edu
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 12:54:24 -0400 (EDT)

> Hello all,
>
> I recently attempted to upgrade the kernel on my Yellowdog ppc (Champion
> Server 1.1) system to 2.2.14 from 2.2.6. Everything seemed to go well, but
> 'uname -v' still reports the kernel version as 2.2.6 as does the login
> prompt. Has anyone had any experience with upgrading the kernel on one of
> these types of systems? I'm a relative newbie to Linux, so please take that
> into account.

I think it's 'uname -r'

I always get a kick out of upgrading my kernel. After having it done 15 or more
times it gets to be a joyful ride I guess.

Did you download a yellowdog kernel or a regular kernel? I tried a SuSe kernel
before and it wouldn't install right. Ever since then I use the regular stuff.

The regular kernel installs on my system in / not /boot. I hope you edited the
/etc/lilo.conf

image = /vmlinuz
  root = /dev/hdb1
  label = linux

vs.

image = /boot/vmlinuz
  root = /dev/hdb1
  label = linux.old

and then ran 'make zlilo' to update the boot tree I guess.

Are you sure with your symlinking you not using that old kernel instead of the
new one?

Seems you got one of the two wrong. the location of the new kernel image or the
lilo.conf file using the wrong kernel image

 mk