GNOME

Tim Schmidt computer_holic@hotmail.com
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 19:01:14 PDT

I had 4.0 installed on SuSE 6.4, but could never get it to run as the
default X server, I still had 3.3.6 installed, and Xinsisted on using that.
I could type in XFree86 -version at the prompt, and it would display 4.0,
but 3.3.6 was being used.

Anyway, I've switched to Turbolinux 6.0 because I feel it's a lot more
compatable with software (at least, it's a lot easier for me to find
software that will install easily).  It's Red Hat based although heavily
modified.  I have not ventured to install XFree86 4 yet (I'm just now
sitting down at my box) and I don't have a lot of time to mess around with
it as it's not very high on my priorities (the only reason I'm trying to
tinstall it at all is for the nVidia accelerated graphcis drivers for 4 that
will let me play some Quake 3 at a decent speed (I have a GeForce, I also
have DL'd the appropriate drivers).

On a related note, I've finished the new GNOME instalation, it went
flawlessly and is a beutiful and functional upgrade.  It'll definately be my
default working environment (I'm running the sawfish wm).  It took a little
tweaking from the default settings to make me comfortable, but it was well
worth the download.

I will try to install XF86 4 on Turbolinux 6 and get back to you, maybe
it'll be a little less painfull than SuSE.

--Tim