GNOME

Marcel Kunath kunathma@pilot.msu.edu
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 08:56:56 -0400 (EDT)

> "Marcel Kunath" <kunathma@pilot.msu.edu> 06/26/00 08:13AM
>
> > YaST isn't great at everything. I only use it for=20
> > installing and removing
> > packages and setting up network devices. This doesn't=20
> > mean you can't do things
> > the manual way in SuSE though.
>
> But I had problems if I did something manually, then ran YaST.=20
> It didn't like me doing things on my own.  Perhaps it has=20
> become more flexible in recent versions.  I know nothing about=20
> YaST2.  Is it still a proprietary program?

It probably is.

I think many people noted that problem with manual-auto overlap. I never really
had a problem with it. Maybe I am not using my distro to the full potential I
should be using it.

I do believe there are shortcomings. That is why I only set up packages and
network devices with it. NFS and NIS maybe too. Besides that YaST doesn't even
configure that much.

The more experienced people get the more they move away from automated tools it
seems. I can't really see where they could improve YaST. All I want is that all
of my hardware has a driver, a good how-to to read and a mailing list to
contact.

Terribly bad haiku:

Open-source driver, how-to, mailing list in existance,
Linux education sources met,
Satisfied installation guaranteed.

mk