GNOME

Mike Rambo mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 09:32:02 -0400

--------------B71191C0DA2DE35A45D0FBB4

Tim Schmidt wrote:

> I had 4.0 installed on SuSE 6.4, but could never get it to run as the
> default X server, I still had 3.3.6 installed, and Xinsisted on using that.
> I could type in XFree86 -version at the prompt, and it would display 4.0,
> but 3.3.6 was being used.
>
> Anyway, I've switched to Turbolinux 6.0 because I feel it's a lot more
> compatable with software (at least, it's a lot easier for me to find
> software that will install easily).  It's Red Hat based ...

To answer your question on how to remove ...

If you're using a RedHat based distro you should be able to:

rpm -qa | grep XFree

This will get you a list of installed XFree packages.

rpm --erase <package-name.rpm>

will uninstall it.  You may be able to rpm --erase XFree*

to get them all at once.  It works for installs and may

work for un-installs too though I've not actually tried it.

rpm -R <package-name.rpm>

will show you dependencies and may give clues to what order

packages must be un-installed if you have trouble.

Also, both KDE and Gnome have rpm front-ends that should

help you both install and uninstall packages in several

formats (.rpm and .deb plus some others - though I don't

think it's generally recommended to use package formats

other than that which is native for your distro).  It

would make life easier in some respects if one of these

is available for your distro.

Good Luck.

--
Mike Rambo