Doh!

Dan Nguyen nguyend7@cse.msu.edu
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 22:23:49 -0400

On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 07:03:29PM -0400, Jeff Goeke-Smith wrote:
> Boot to single user mode.  This is usually accomplished when lilo comes up,
> hit shift (I think) and it will pop up the boot: prompt.  Assuming I
> remember correctly, type in 'linux single' (with out the quotes).  The
> machine should boot and then drop you into a root shell.  At that point
> passwd allows you to change the root password.

That will work on RH systems, but on Debian where single user mode
requires a root password you can't actually do that.  There is a way
around this.  Instead of 'linux single' do a 'linux init=/bin/sh'
Which forces linux to run sh rather than init.  You'll have a minimual
system but you should be able to edit /etc/passwd and copy a password
that you know.  Then reboot.