Meetings, MSU facilities, and membership

Alan Garrison aeg@lbwl.com
Mon, 06 Mar 2000 08:56:05 -0500

Sean <picasso@madflower.com> 03/06/00 04:53AM

> This in educational terms really falls under
> life-long education.

As is any LUG, or really any Users Group for anything.

> In order to tie in with the university, (if we really
> want or need the
> affiliation,) would it be a plausible idea to create
> a life-long
> education non-credit course?

This *might* imply that MSU has a certain level of control over
what we choose to do since their name is now on our group.
(emphasis on "might")

> This essentially gets around a lot of obstacles
> since technically we
> would all be MSU students.

This might reverse the "non-sensical" notion that this
is now just a student group instead of the "non-sensical"
notion that we are just a professionals group.

> We could have a small course fee, which would
> be waived for guest lecturers who would be welcome
> to attend any of the
> "classes", the classes would be a lecture series
> consisting of guest lecturers.

This is kind of what we already do.  Less formal of course.
Did you have any particular guests in mind?

> [...] with or without some sort of
> certification of class completion.

This could possibly cause problems if someone were to
say "hey, I got certified by the local hacker group."
It sounds a bit too official, even if we were to somehow
become a part of MSU.

> It could also allow the development of a curriculum
> to be used by other
> educational institutions, like schools, or LUG's.
> It would already be
> semi-tested on real people.

Do other LUG's do this (just curious)?

Sean's idea isn't a bad one, so don't think I'm just
randomly shooting it down.  However, it seems that this
whole idea of doing stuff with MSU is really just a matter
of location.  I don't think most students on this list care
if we are officially a part of MSU or not so long as they
can get to meetings.

[To Everyone] Is this whole issue really just a location
issue?  Do students care if we are an official part of
MSU or not?