sql

Torgo Jr agarris@voyager.net
Tue, 07 Mar 2000 20:22:25 -0500

Marcel Kunath wrote:

> Well I send two emails to the list this morning but they didn't make it. Oh
> well not that important.

Same here.

> Ok, reading a site called webmonkey and seeing some examples of mysql and
> php3. I am just trying to get some things to go. Now I had some security
> concerns. I protected my mysql with a password for root user and any other
> user. This causes me to put a password into my php3 files when I try to connect
> to my sql server? Right? So how is it prevented or how do I prevent that
> anybody ever finds out the password or username? Can't it happen?

Ideally the userid/password combo should stay in the server-side
PHP code.  If you need to keep track of session info, use a cookie
or a URL session identifier.

> I wish they would have
> concentrated
> a bit more on teaching about databases than give much of the
> other stuff. (just
> my book review)

I am almost done re-writing my SQL tutorial that I gave to GLLUG
a while ago.  It covers very basic SQL (in PostgreSQL, but most
of it should be portable to MySQL).  I will post it to the
GLLUG site when it's done.

--
Alan Garrison _ agarris@voyager.net
"I think it's unfair that only one company can make Monopoly."