netstat/tcp question (fwd)

Mark Szidik - Michigan Library Consortium szidikm@mlc.lib.mi.us
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 13:24:01 -0500 (EST)

When I do a netstat -a  I get the following partial listing.

Active Internet connections (including servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Addr State
tcp        0      0 *:22                    *:* 	 LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:12345                 *:* 	 LISTEN
udp        0      0 *:syslog                *:*
raw        0      0 *:1                     *:*

What I am concerned with is the line that says that there is something
listening on port 12345.  Is there I way I can figure out what program
is listening to that port?

When I do a telnet localhost 12345 I get the following:
$ telnet localhost 12345
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
<I hit return here>
Connection closed by foreign host.

There is nothing to identify what program I am connecting to.  Any
thoughts?

Thanks,
Mark