linux business

Alan Garrison aeg@lbwl.com
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 13:38:53 -0500

"Marcel Kunath" <kunathma@pilot.msu.edu> 03/22/00 01:19PM

> I am just wondering if all the hyper day traders are
> finally out of the Linux
> stocks so that the serious Linux people can secure
> their investments in them.

If day traders think they can make a quick buck investing
in Redhat (or similar), they will.  I wouldn't necessairly
invest in a Linux company just because of the coolness
factor of Linux.

> New distros coming out in August

What, Debian potato? <duck>   kidding... :)

> will feature a lot improvements and I already
> see a second hype come aboard.

What, Red Hat?  Keep in mind that some of these
improvements will show up in all distros because they
are kernel-based, or are based in other software that
is common to any distro (or a particular family of them).
For example, the Lothar project (from Mandrake) could
be snagged by Red Hat and billed as an "improvement".
Most improvements are really centered around one distro,
The big demand (as far as people willing to shovel out
cash) are for end user applications like office suites.
There will always be a large population of people who
would rather use a Word-like program than LaTeX, and
most of them will pay $$$ for a port of WordPerfect.
That, and high-end games will always bring in some
money for some company.