bad news for cable modems in Lansing

Paul Melson melson@scnc.holt.k12.mi.us
Tue, 2 May 2000 07:25:50 -0400

On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 11:59:40AM -0400, Mark Szidik - Michigan Library Consortium wrote:
> This is from the general Mananger of ATT cable Lansing:
>
> >Mark,
> >The problem is that we do not have a firm date as yet.  We are in the
> >process of doing a lot a preparatory work.  We are tentatively shooting
> >to get started by year end, but it will take quite a while to get the
> >whole system activated.
> >
> >Regards,
> >John Rawcliffe

	It's been coming "next year" since I moved back to
	Lansing in 1997.  I've quit holding my breath.

> ATT's contract to provide cable service in Lansing is up sometime next
> year.  Negociations for a new contract are starting soon.  I am going to
> write a letter & contact the city council arguing that they should drop
> ATT as the provider.  I also argue that any new provider (possibly the
> BWL?) must contractually meet a deadline for providing cable-modem
> service and enforce it with monetary penalties.

	Can BWL even attempt something like that?  Moreover,
	could it even be a good idea?  I've heard horror
	stories (and seen a few first-hand) about trying
	to get decent upstream network support from a
	company who is really only comfortible with TV.
	I can't imagine an electric & water utility doing
	a better job. (?)

> I believe that providing this service is vital to the long-term economic
> welfare on Lansing.  All other things being equal, consider a new
> professional moving into the area, where are they going to live?  The
> burbs with cable modem access, Or Lansing with only POTS?  The choice is
> clear.

	The problem is that there's no competition for the
	residential segment of what was formerly MediaOne's
	Lansing territory.  South/SouthWest Lansing is
	served by a 25-30yr old 1ESS switch.  Ameritech has
	to replace the whole thing before they (or anyone)
	can offer ISDN, T-1, or DSL to this end of town.
	Because of this, there's no incentive for AT&T to
	do anything about it any earlier than Ameritech
	will.

	Unfortunately, if you look at where all of the
	new businesses and higher-cost residences have
	gone in Ingham County over the past 5 years,
	these places are all served by cable modems and
	ISDN (and DSL later this year).  The only way
	I see services being offered any sooner in
	this part of town is if the residents can
	convince AT&T that there's enough demand to
	make it worth their while.  To be honest, I
	don't know that there is...

--
							melson@holt.k12.mi.us