Samba

Jeff Goeke-Smith jeff@goeke.net
Tue, 2 May 2000 21:57:19 -0400

Ok, as I did the Samba presentation with Paul.  I'll jump in here and answer
this one.

The short answer is you can't do it.

Here is the reason:  To perform a mount of a remote file system, the kernel
must know how to interact with that file system.  As it stands right now,
AFAIK the only kernel to support the smb file system is the linux kernel.
Therefore,  you won't be able to mount your windows machine from the IRIX
machine.  Sorry.

The second, and less important, thing is that a standard mount command won't
successfully mount a samba partition even under linux.  You have to use the
smbmount command to get it to work.

Hope this is of some help.

--Jeff Goeke-Smith