Samba

Matt Fuerst fuerstma@msu.edu
Tue, 2 May 2000 21:40:33 -0400

I recently picked up a SGI Indy, but this is a fairly Unix generic question.
I used the pretty nifty Irix installer to grab Samba from
http://freeware.sgi.com and install it. All is well (expect for the really
weird directory structure that Irix uses... samba installed in /usr/samba?
Is that standard? Pretty much everything else you download from the above
web site gets stuffed into a generic place /usr/freeware ..

Anyways, back to the question at hand...

I am none too familar with Samba, but it is running well enough. My goal is
to mount my Windows drive as a directory on my Irix box (the Indy has a 1
Gig drive, my win box has 6 gigs..) I can use the SMB utility smbclient to
connect to my Irix box... IE:

smbclient file://neptune/c
and then my password lets me do the smbclient thing, which is an ftp like
interface to access my Win box. Not good enough for me I say.. I want
transparent, nfs like mount.

I read the man and it says to do something along the lines of

mount -t smb neptune:/c /home/fuerstma/neptune

but I get an error that smb is not a recognized file system. So I guess
(after a long winded explination one might fairly state) my question is, how
to I insert smb to me a recognizable file system? I hope that does involve
manipulating the kernel. If anyone out there is familar with Irix and is
looking for a new best friend with lots of questions, please let me know...

Thank you very much for any help!

Matt

Matt Fuerst
Michigan State University - Home of the 2000 NCAA National Basketball
Champions!
"Sometimes I, feel so small,
Sometimes I think I can beat them all,
but most of the time, I just feel confused."

-- Henry Rollins "Fall Guy"