k6-2 300 mhz

Mike Rambo mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us
Thu, 04 May 2000 11:12:50 -0400

Alan Garrison wrote:

> This is more of a motherboard issue, so check the chipset
> of it.  The K6-2 series generally use a chipset that can
> handle PC100 memory.  The plain K6 motherboards were
> generally PC66 only.

> Anybody else think the memory evolution is a mess? I mean its
> all nice about
> choice and innovation but I wish they stick to some type of
> guideline.
>
> Can I use PC 100 SDRAM with a amd k6-2 300 mhz system?
>
> Just ran across this:
>   PC66 SDRAM modules
>        (For Pentium / PII & K6 systems 120MHz to 333MHz - With
>
>                     66MHz Bus)
>
>   PC100 SDRAM modules
>        (For PII/PIII & K6, Athlon K7 systems
>                 350MHz - 1000MHz - With 100MHz Bus)
>
> But then I see one some website a system sold with K6-2 300
> MHZ and PC 100
> memory. Contradiction?
>
>   -- Marcel

This all refers to the base clock speed on the motherboard.  If
you are multiplying a 66Mhz base clock to get your processor
clock then you only need PC66 (although I've not yet seen a
situation where faster won't work too - just don't go slower).
If your base clock is faster then you need the PC100 memory.

Mike Rambo
Lansing School District

Sorry if this eventually comes twice - I tried to send it once
before but it didn't work for some reason :-).