k6-2 300 mhz

Alan Garrison aeg@lbwl.com
Thu, 04 May 2000 11:13:34 -0400

Edward Glowacki <glowack2@msu.edu> 05/04/00 11:05AM

> That quote also talks about the Athlon and PC100 SDRAM, which is probably
> equivalent to talking about a Ferarri and tires from a Geo Metro.  Yeah,
> you could put PC100 in your Athlon system, but why?

On an Athlon system, going from PC100 to PC133 isn't a huge leap
(a bit though).  If you really want to fly, you are going to have
to wait for DDR SDRAM chips and system boards to come out.  Same
signal speed but with twice the info going back and forth.  Of course,
to make things more complicated, I think the DDR ram chips will have
a different pin layout, so there won't be backwards compatibility
with current PC100/PC133 stuff.