corel linux

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
08 May 2000 15:26:20 -0400

Mike Rambo <mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us> writes:

> > deb ftp://debian.egr.msu.edu/debian stable main contrib
> > deb ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US

> > and actually install packages along with all their dependencies
> > with
> >         apt-get install mozilla
>
> We get an error that an update to xmms is needed that apt-get cannot
> find a source for.  xmms appears to be a winamp type package.  Anyone
> have any ideas where we can find this package - or can we force an
> install without it.  We don't really need winamp unless it breaks
> other things to force an install without it.

As it turns out xmms is only in Debian `unstable'.  You can
either remove xmms or add the Debian unstable packages to your
apt sources file.  Debian unstable is frozen right now so it
tends to be pretty usable.  If you want to use it then add
another copy of the lines I recommended above to the apt sources
file, replacing `stable' by `unstable', so that you get something
like this in the end:

deb ftp://debian.egr.msu.edu/debian stable main contrib
deb ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US
deb ftp://debian.egr.msu.edu/debian unstable main contrib
deb ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable non-US