Samba question (with unlikely solution)

Mike Rambo mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us
Mon, 08 May 2000 16:00:33 -0400

Sean wrote:

> IIRC i couldnt get sim city to install from a disk image or run from one
> on the mac.. I think it does some sort of hardware check as a copy
> protection scheme.

Sounds entirely possible.  One way to test for this might be to mount the CD
physically in the Linux server and share that.  I guess I never stated it
explicitly, but part of what I was driving at was that I'd not seen a
situation where *Windows* distinguished between a CD and a network drive.  I
have seen occasions where *applications* distinguish between the two however
(Easy CD Creator is one).  In fact, I've seen at least one application that
treated a CD drive *as* a network drive.  I think it was a diagnostics
package (can't recall for sure) that when ran errored out with the message
that it wouldn't work with network drives when I ran it on the CD.

Mike