More routing

Mike Rambo mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us
Tue, 23 May 2000 07:53:41 -0400

Mike Szumlinski wrote:

> It just dawned on me that instead of remembering the ips
> behind my router
> that it just might be easier to set up a DHCP server on my
> Linux machine
> and have it take care of IPs. Anyone have any idea where to
> even start
> with something like this?
>
> Also, I just moved up to a bigger monitor, and I'd like to get
> a nicer
> video card for my Linux machine for *cheap*. Something that
> handles
> 1600x1200 well, doesn't need 3d or anything like that. Thanks.
>
> -Mike
>
> -=--===---===---===---===-=-
> |Mike Szumlinski           |
> |Michigan State University |
> |A26079565                 |
> -=--===---===---===---===-=-

Check out the dhcp server from isc.org.  Version 3 is beta right
now but we're using it on several machines here with good
success.  I don't know if it's standard or not, but this dhcp
server is also capable of updating DNS info on the fly as it
deals out IP's - though we're not actively utilizing the DNS
features here.  If you have any questions I might be able to
help as I've set it up several times now.  I would strongly
recommend you get the sources and build it yourself though.  The
only time I've had trouble was on one machine with dual cards
(ethernet and token ring for a router) where the prebuilt .rpm I
was trying to use just blew chunks everywhere.  When I built it
from sources it came up the first time on that same network.
For support they also have a list serv you can go to.

http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP/dhcp-v3.html

Mike Rambo
Lansing School District