More routing

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
23 May 2000 09:19:38 -0400

Mike Szumlinski <szumlins@pilot.msu.edu> writes:

> It just dawned on me that instead of remembering the ips behind my router
> that it just might be easier to set up a DHCP server on my Linux machine
> and have it take care of IPs. Anyone have any idea where to even start
> with something like this?

Read my introduction to configuring DHCP servers in this
Wednesday's presentation notes:
	http://www.msu.edu/user/pfaffben/
Look for "IPv4 Masquerading for the Hypothetical Geek", toward
the bottom.  I think this might be all that you need.

> Also, I just moved up to a bigger monitor, and I'd like to get a nicer
> video card for my Linux machine for *cheap*. Something that handles
> 1600x1200 well, doesn't need 3d or anything like that. Thanks.

I'd just head out to Digilink or Best Buy and pick up a cheap
video card.  Most hardware should handle 1600x1200 these days.
Of course you'll want to carry a XFree86 hardware compatibility
list with you but that's pretty comprehensive these days too.