rebuilding kernel for the first time

Leonard G. Warden IV lgw4@sealdog.org
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:15:06 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Edward Glowacki wrote:

> FreeBSD is getting there.  It's always been behind in driver support
> compared to Linux, but it seems to really be catching up the last
> few releases.  For example, in 4.2:
>
> Xircom CreditCard adapters(16bit) and workalikes
>     Accton EN2226/Fast EtherCard (16-bit verison)
>     Compaq Netelligent 10/100 PC Card
>     Intel EtherExpress PRO/100 Mobile Adapter (16-bit verison)
>     Xircom Realport card + modem(Ethernet part)
>     Xircom CreditCard Ethernet 10/100
>     Xircom CreditCard 10Base-T "CreditCard Ethernet Adaptor IIps" (PS-CE2-10)
>     Xircom CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + modem (Ethernet part)
>
> Looks like there's kernel support for part of your card anyways.
> I'm not sure if it's new or not, but it's there.

Edward,

I actually was aware of this "half" support. In fact, there is a gentleman
who is working on porting the Linux drivers for the RealPort series of
PCMCIA cards to the FreeBSD-CURRENT tree. However, I need both the
ethernet and modem functions to work -- after all, it's in my laptop and I
do travel to places that don't have DHCP networks with ethernet ports
available. I just wanted to make a good natured jab at FreeBSD advocates. ;)

Chip Warden