compiling apache 1.3.14 w/php 4.0.3 (longish)

Mike Rambo mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:07:21 -0500

Yesterday I obtained fresh sources for mysql, expat, php4.0.3,
apache1.3.14, libiodbc, and myodbc.  Basically, I'm trying to get this
set up to follow a tutorial on php that I have.

MySQL, libiodbc, myodbc, expat, and php all went ok - or so it appears.
Apache fails to compile with errors that it is unable to locate a bunch
of files that appear related to php4.

The instructions I have said (near as I recall) to build:
1 MySQL - done - ok
2 libiodbc - done - ok
3 myodbc - done -ok
4 expat - done - ok
5 php + apache like this:

cd to apache
./configure --prefix=...

this went ok.

cd to php
./configure --prefix=... \
            --with-expat... \
            --with-myodbc... \
            --may have been something else \
            --book not in front of me

this went ok.

cd to apache
./configure --prefix=... \
            --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libmodphp4.a

This part goes ok

make

after a couple of minutes it bombs complaining it
cannot find several files.  All of the files in
question have been in:
/usr/local/include/php/main/
/usr/local/include/php/Zend/
/usr/local/include/php/ext/standard/
but it doesn't find them.  For one thing it appeared
to being looking in src/modules/php instead of ./php4
so I made a php symlink to php4.  Don't really know if
that helped or not.  Next I actually copied the files
(all of them are header files - php.h Zend.h SAPI.h etc)
to src/modules/php4 which allowed me to get a little further
but in the end it still bombs looking for php resources.

Does anyone have any idea what mistake I've made.

The Apache FAQ and usenet group archive didn't have
anything regarding this problem.

Oh, this particular machine runs RH6.2 if it matters.

Many Thanks.

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us