IP aliases

Mark Szidik szidikm@mlc.lib.mi.us
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:27:38 -0500 (EST)

Heres a Networking question.

There is a organization with two internal networks lets say 10.1/16 and
10.2/16.  They both end up connecting to the Internet through a single
Linux firewall and go out as one "real world" IP address we call it
x.x.x.100.

I know that we can setup IP aliases for the one Internet attached
Ethernet interface so that it answers more than one IP address.  But how
can I get Linux to take traffic from network 10.1/16 and send it as one
IP address and from the other network as different IP?

We would like to do something like this?

10.1/16 net --\            /---> x.x.x.101
		\	  /
		 Linux FW
	        /	  \
10.2/16 net --/		   \---> x.x.x.102

Can this be done with routing rules?  Or is something else needed?

Thanks,
Mark Szidik
System Administrator           Ph: 517.694.4242 x17  Fax: 517.694.9303
Michigan Library Consortium    http://www.mlc.lib.mi.us