[OT] MUD building

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 17:15:38 -0400 (EDT)

On 2 Oct 2000, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Sean <picasso@madflower.com> writes:
>
> [...about writing a MUD...]
> > It would be a good "beginner" coding project for people wanting to learn
> > Python. I do see a lot of benefits from the project.
>
> I pity the "beginner" who tries to write a MUD.  Writing a MUD is
> a nontrivial endeavour, involving (at least) the following
> issues:

I agree with Ben, the coding of this is not a beginner's project.
The theory behind this game is to "do it right", and unfortunately
that means that those with little or no programming experience or
training probably aren't going to be writting much of the core
code.  However, there are likely to be side projects and non-critical
pieces where a beginner could gain some experience coding, and
probably learn a lot from more experienced programmers.  And there's
a lot more to building a MUD than coding, such as world building,
documentation, beta testing, coming up with ideas/designs, writing
spell scripts, and running the game itself.  I don't want to exclude
anyone that's willing to help, but tasks will be on par with one's
skills.

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu
GLLUG President				http://www.gllug.org