[OT] MUD building

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
02 Oct 2000 17:52:32 -0400

Mark Szidik <szidikm@mlc.lib.mi.us> writes:

> I hope Ben's comments don't discourage anyone.  Sure it may be a lot to
> do and be hard, but the only way we learn is to try.  The project will
> benefit from all skill levels, and as Ed pointed out there are a lot of
> things to do in the project besides coding.

Maybe I should have mentioned that it was by tackling projects of
this magnitude that I learned how to program properly.  They were
well beyond my abilities at the time, but I learned a lot trying.

(Of course, I didn't ask anyone else for advice, because I was,
oh, 10 or 12 years old at the time, and didn't actually know any
other programmers.  I learned everything I know about programming
from books and experience.)

OTOH I have actually written RPGs and most of two different MUDs
(in which I lost interest when I got to the world-building part),
so I might be able to give useful advice if anyone wants to
listen to it.  But I haven't got any time to help coding,
unfortunately.