X hanging

David Lee Lambert lamber45@egr.msu.edu
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 19:01:11 -0400 (EDT)

First of all, I shoud apologize that I have an old config:  Debian 1.3,
kernel 2.0.32,  parts of XFree86 probably left over from a '97 release of
Slackware.  However,  I know that my system didn't used to do this:

I switch between text virtual consoles just fine.  XFree86 loads up
without too much trouble, and is perfectly responsive.  However,  when I
kill the server,  the console keeps a graphical image on it and just
hangs.  If I do Ctrl-Alt-F[1-6],  the screen goes blank and the console
hangs.  (When I say 'hangs' I mean that the keyboard and mouse have no
effect.  Even the 'num lock' light doesn't respond to its key.)  I can
still telnet in and do work,  but console work is nearly impossible.  I
can start another X server from a telnet session,  too,  but that's not
much use if I want to avoid Windows,  is it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

--
DLL