X hanging

Torgo Jr agarris@voyager.net
Wed, 04 Oct 2000 21:35:16 -0400

David Lee Lambert wrote:

> First of all, I shoud apologize that I have an old config:  Debian 1.3,
> kernel 2.0.32,  parts of XFree86 probably left over from a '97 release of
> Slackware.  However,  I know that my system didn't used to do this:
>
> I switch between text virtual consoles just fine.  XFree86 loads up
> without too much trouble, and is perfectly responsive.  However,  when I
> kill the server,  the console keeps a graphical image on it and just
> hangs.  If I do Ctrl-Alt-F[1-6],  the screen goes blank and the console
> hangs.  (When I say 'hangs' I mean that the keyboard and mouse have no
> effect.  Even the 'num lock' light doesn't respond to its key.)  I can
> still telnet in and do work,  but console work is nearly impossible.  I
> can start another X server from a telnet session,  too,  but that's not
> much use if I want to avoid Windows,  is it?
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.

Does kernel version 2.0.32 support SysRQ?  It may be compiled in
your kernel if you are using a stock one (and if 2.0.32 supports
it).  See if /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysrq.txt exists.  I
have had similar problems in the past with more recent kernel
versions and Pfaff suggested SysRQ.  Actually I have had it not
work for an X lockup but it did work for one other problem I've
had.

--
Alan Garrison  ___ alan@alangarrison.com
"Excuse me.  The mold between your toes has inspired me." - I Am Weasel