Another chapter in the chip-drilling saga...

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
07 Oct 2000 19:57:19 -0400

So I was at Meijer today and decided to take a look in their
drill bits aisle.  Hey, look--"MIBRO INDUSTRIAL Glass carbide
drills have uniquely sharpened edges for easy penetration of
glass, mirror and ceramic."

Perfect!  Now I can cut a hole in that Pentium chip.  So I get it
back home and C-clamp the chip to the edge of my desk.  I even
lubricate the chip with water as the package advises.  Drill on
low.  Vrrr, vrrr, vrrr.

And 5 minutes later I have a perfect hole... that penetrates no
more than 1 mm into the chip.  Shoot.  I guess this is better
ceramic than ceramic--not even the drill bits *designed for*
ceramic cut through it.

Have to keep thinking about it, I guess, or find someplace that
sells diamond bits...

--
"It takes a certain amount of shamelessness
 to be a monomaniac billionaire dwarf."