Last night's LUG meeting

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 16:32:44 -0400 (EDT)

For those of you that just can't live another day without knowing
what happened at the LUG meeting last night, here it is:

Installfest
-----------

Consensus was that we need to get moving on this.  We still don't
have a place to have it, but it would be nice if the place had some
(or all) of the following features:

- Phone lines for testing dialup
- Ethernet for testing network cards and for grabbing patches off the 'net
- Monitors/keyboards/mice to make life easier on the users
- Close to campus so we can get more students

Anyone have any posibilities for such a place?  We're thinking of
probably a saturday afternoon thing, most likely in the middle of
November.

Business cards
--------------

Consensus was that Ed needs to get his butt in gear and get us business cards.

GLLUG Projects
--------------

We talked about starting a GLLUG project a long time ago.  Ideas
(old and new) that we've had so far:

- Database of computer stuff, so people could go look up what "SCSI"
means and what the different types of SCSI are, etc.
- Volunteer work, i.e. go out and help other non-profit organizations
deploy low-cost Linux systems, design and/or host their web pages,
etc.
- A web application of some kind
- A mail reader [1]
- Anything else we can do to get all the group involved

[1] I'm adding this one to the list.  =) I like Pine, I feel good
using it, but it's missing some features I'd like... (built-in
PGP/GPG support, keywords/categories for email, better
new/read/answered/important/archived status management, etc.)  The
goal would be to use some of the design principles from Pine and
build a new system.  My first choice would be Python and Ncurses,
but those two don't seem to like to play well together for me, so
my second thought is Python and wxWindows.  Either way, the primary
interface is going to be the keyboard, not the rodent. =)  Oh, and
is it obvious I'm itching to write something cool?!?! ;)

Next Meeting

2 weeks, Sunday Oct. 29.  AAI is tentatively the place.

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu
GLLUG President				http://www.gllug.org