Debian, Apache, plus CGI execute problem

Nick Lewis lewisnic@egr.msu.edu
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 20:46:24 -0400 (EDT)

On 15 Oct 2000, Ben Pfaff wrote:

>Nick Lewis <lewis@cscw.msu.edu> writes:
>
>> [Sun Oct 15 22:20:22 2000] [error] (8)Exec format error: exec of
>> /home/www/mail/test.php3 failed
>
>Apache is trying to execute the PHP3 file in the same way that it
>would a CGI script, essentially as if "/home/www/mail/test.php3"
>were typed at the shell command prompt, and this operation is
>failing.  Is this what it should be doing?  If not, do you have
>the PHP module properly configured?

When I run the script (or a perl script that I am trying to execute for
that matter) from the shell, it outputs the correct information (aka, it
builds the correct webpage to standard out from what I can tell). I have
installed all of the packages that I have installed from debs (and I
haven't installed any non-deb's - I'm trying to not piss off apt and dpkg
with conflicts and such this time[1]), so I am assuming that it set it all
up. Is there anywhere that I could find out what a package is supposed to
do without stepping through the package? Thanks. Nick.

[1] Ok, I had to make at least one of these comments. But, anyway, the
last time I did this, I ended up giving up on the debs and compling
everything from scratch. I am trying to avoid this because dpkg and apt
are just to good not to use.

Nick Lewis
DECS
HA! I laugh in the face of free time!