Debian, Apache, plus CGI execute problem

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 11:26:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Nick Lewis wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, Sean wrote:
>
> >Do you have the proper permissions and ownership on the files? It
> >wont execute them with your user permissions.
>
> I've tried changing owner to be www-data (who the web server runs as) and
> root, and they give the same error with my php pages.
>
> >Also typically CGI's are only allowed to execute in the the /cgi-bin
> >directory because of permissions set in the apache config file and knowing
> >debian they probably arent allowed to run at all which also might be the
> >problem for php.
>
> I've unfortunately, enabled cgi access for everything right now, and am
> going to lock it back down once I figure out the setting that allows it to
> work (actually, fix all "All" options enabled and things like that).
> Thanks. Nick.

I appologize if this has already been mentioned, I already deleted
most of the early messages in the thread without reading them. =P
You might try checking for symbolic links in the path to your
directory.  I had problems under FreeBSD because /home -> /usr/home
and the section of my apache.conf that had that directory in it
was set to /home (IIRC) and it needed to be /usr/home.  Anyways,
just a thought.  Also, here's a snippet from my apache.conf:

<IfModule mod_mime.c>
    AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
    AddType application/x-httpd-php .php3

(Running apache 1.3.12 and PHP 4.0RC1)