samba record locking

Mike Rambo mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 15:56:50 -0400

I got back out to our Linux server at ForestView today.  It appears the
problem with accessing some of the server apps is one of record
locking.  A program called Accelerated Reader is one of the critical
apps we must have available to all workstations.  Basically what I've
found it that it's useable by all stations as long as it is done one at
a time.

Can anyone explain how record locking is handled with samba?  The server
is set up with share security and although share modes = yes is default
I have also explicitly stated it too.  This particular app is among a
few that need write access to data files and a temp directory.  All of
the apps have been made public read only shares with the write access
granted to those directories that need it.  I don't really know how the
app itself handles it's data updates with multiple users but I do know
that this program is working on other Novell and NT servers so it should
work with Linux.

Any idea's would be very much appreciated.

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us