samba record locking

Mike Rambo mhrambo@voyager.net
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 09:25:04 -0400

Nick Lewis wrote:
>I'm not sure what the share modes = yes option does and i'm not able to get
>to www.samba.org...
>
>You might want to try this setting on the share:
>
>locking = yes
>
>Hope that helps. Nick.

Thanks for both of the responses - I'll work on this more monday when I
get back to work.  According to the info in the chapter 5 url below most
file locking stuff is on by default.  There is a petty good description
of OPportunistic LOCK(S)ing BTW.  It makes me a little nervous to start
turning this stuff off because that seems a recipe for corrupted data if
a file is updated by more than one client at a time.  I'll have to set
up a test platform to check that.

One thing I didn't mention before about AR before is that it is a DOS
program.  Windows (3x or 9x) goes to DOS mode to run it.  I'm not sure
about where that leaves the status of file locking on the windows end in
DOS mode (although the book doesn't say it's any different I guess).

What I really don't understand is why this software works fine
multi-user with both Novell 3.12, Mac servers, and NT but gives me fits
with Samba/Linux.  I have definitely GOT to solve this.  AR is software
that is used gauge and improve the reading ability of students (which
involves testing the students after they've read a book which then
involves database records that must be updated on the server).  All of
the elementary schools use this app.

I guess I'll try turning most of the locks off since they default to on
and maybe try the fake oplocks option (though it is deprecated) as a
last resort.  Maybe increasing the debug level would shed some light on
what is going on as I'm not really sure locks are even causing the
problems.

(Hmm, I wonder if there's a Samba list I can consult too.)

http://sunsite.dk/samba/oreilly/using_samba/index.html

http://sunsite.dk/samba/oreilly/using_samba/ch05_05.html

Thanks.

Mike Rambo