samba record locking

Mike Rambo mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 09:12:20 -0400

Mike Rambo wrote:

> Mark Szidik wrote:
> >Have you tried to set the oplocks=no option on that share?  How about
> >oplock files=no ?
> >
> >I don't claim to know exactly what these will do, but you can try them.
>
> Nick Lewis wrote:
> >I'm not sure what the share modes = yes option does and i'm not able to get
> >to www.samba.org...
> >
> >You might want to try this setting on the share:
> >
> >locking = yes
> >
> >Hope that helps. Nick.
>
> Thanks for both of the responses - I'll work on this more monday when I
> get back to work.
> I guess I'll try turning most of the locks off since they default to on
> and maybe try the fake oplocks option (though it is deprecated) as a
> last resort.  Maybe increasing the debug level would shed some light on
> what is going on as I'm not really sure locks are even causing the
> problems.
>

> http://sunsite.dk/samba/oreilly/using_samba/index.html
>
> http://sunsite.dk/samba/oreilly/using_samba/ch05_05.html
>
> Thanks.

I worked on this problem yesterday morning.  I tried several
combinations of lock options (oplocks, locking, veto oplock files ...,
fake oplocks, kernel oplocks) with no success.  The only option that
even altered the way the app acts was the share modes option.  With that
on (default) one one machine at a time can launch the app.  With that
option off any number of machines can launch the app but they all crash
as soon as you try to actually do anything useful - plus I'm pretty sure
that would be a great recipe for data corruption were I to leave it that
way anyway.

I've also posted on this problem on samaba list.  The only response I
got was to try oplocks which I've already done.

Does anyone have any ideas - I'll try anything!

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us