FTP Client and Server

Adam McDougall mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 13:57:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Alex Morris wrote:

> Well, I finally got a network up and running at home (borrowing a hub...).
> Anyway, I have FreeBSD 4.<something> on one computer and Win2k on the other.
>   Does anyone have suggestions on what I could use in FreeBSD to set up an
> FTP server and what I could use for an ftp client?  I'm trying my hardest to

I like the out of box ftpd, it doesn't have nearly as much publicity on
bugtraq that proftpd and wuftpd do,  and it probably supports more
features than most people think. (See the manpage)  You may also want to
try to get the netbsd ftpd installed, it is pretty advanced and has quite
active maintainership and I believe it can be massaged into compiling on
FreeBSD.  If you'd like todo thisand cant find out how, let me know and I
can pester one of my friends to give some pointers.

> never configure X on the FreeBSD machine, so I need console programs.  I'm
> assuming that the man pages will be plenty to get me running once I know
> what proggie to use, but if you'd like to point me to a web site with more
> info it never hurts.
>
> Oh, as a follow-up to my last FreeBSD questions, I can now mount my CD-ROM
> and HDD's, and I had no problem converting root to use bash (well, I had to
> spend several minutes in "man vi" but it all worked out in the end).  :-)
>
> Now if only I could set up my printer (USB) and learn TeX, then I'd be well
> on my way to doing something useful...  Speaking of printing, does anyone
> know what it takes to get FreeBSD to be able to print to a printer across
> the network?  I'm assuming I'd need Win2k to set up some sort of print

I strongly recommend installing apsfilter!!! It is a blessing to unix (not
just freebsd, im sure it works for linux too, they have a new webpage at
www.apsfilter.org) and will pretty much hold your hand through the
installation of ghostscript, graphics filters, printer filters, network
printing, setting up /etc/printcap, yadda yadda.  If it tries to install
something which depends on X I think you can select which graphics filters
and such not to install which might help.  Failing that, you could resort
to installing XFree86 (3 or 4) and deleting all but the /usr/X11R6/lib
from /usr/X11R6 after its all setup happy.

See the ulpt manpage about usb printers, im sure there is a driver but I
dont know exactly what it supports.  See the usb and usbd manpages too.

> server, or can I share the printer and print to it without a print server?
> If worse comes to worse, I'll have to set up a print server in FreeBSD and
> have Win2k be the one printing across the network.

You can either attach it to the FreeBSD server (assuming the usb issues
work out fine)  and share it out with samba (I recommend the SWAT tool
which comes with samba for configuring parameters and shares and such)  or
put it on a windows machine and share it and smbclient on the freebsd
machine can print to it,  also easy to setup with the aid of apsfilter.