FTP Client and Server

Sean picasso@madflower.com
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 07:49:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Edward Glowacki wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Alex Morris wrote:
> >   Does anyone have suggestions on what I could use in FreeBSD to set up an
> > FTP server and what I could use for an ftp client?  I'm trying my hardest to
>
> FreeBSD comes with an ftp daemon and an ftp client.  Both work
> reasonably well.  If you're looking for something better in the
> way of a console-mode FTP client for FreeBSD, try NcFTP, I've used
> it in the past and it allows you to make bookmarks and such for
> sites.  There are also some FTP servers in the ports tree.

Pro-FTPd comes to mind for a good ftp server, Although it might be
overkill.

> > Now if only I could set up my printer (USB) and learn TeX, then I'd be well
> > on my way to doing something useful...  Speaking of printing, does anyone
> > know what it takes to get FreeBSD to be able to print to a printer across
> > the network?  I'm assuming I'd need Win2k to set up some sort of print
> > server, or can I share the printer and print to it without a print server?
> > If worse comes to worse, I'll have to set up a print server in FreeBSD and
> > have Win2k be the one printing across the network.
>
> Install and configure LPRNG, it's what I use to print to our
> networked HP printer at work here.  Not sure how FreeBSD interacts with
> a printer on a Win2k box though.

LPRng/Samba will work _if_ you can get the USB printer working. I
am with what printers are supported under FreeBSDs nor its status on USB
support. It is highly printer specific when you start talking about inkjet
printers.

Honestly I usually cheat and use printtool for setting up printers, But
that would require x. You will also need ghostscript installed since you
have an inkjet printer.

I think there is a free-bsd how-to for setting up printing. They seem to
have some pretty good, well organized documentation.