huray I am up and running Linux 6.2

Daniel R. Kilbourne drk@voyager.net
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 14:01:36 -0400

with RedHat, the easiest way to permanently switch resolutions is to become
root and run 'setup' (/usr/sbin/setup). This will let you edit
authentication, keyboard, mouse, timezone, X-configuration (color-depth and
mode),  as well as what services start at system poweron.

as for tar.gz, follow Ben's advice. :)

sorry, but I have never used KDE regularly, only tried it a few times, but
I think there is an option off of the 'start' bar that allows adding apps
to it.

swap is fine....rule of thumb I've always followed is 1-2 X physical RAM,
depending on what you will use the system for.